Sunday, February 7, 2010

Living in Gratitude


Ok, so I get a little (a lot) of flack sometimes for my enthusiasm for life. Fair enough, I can be a little obnoxious sometimes, but I think with a little explanation will help to shed a little light ;)

I think there is a misconception that optimists are either:
1. just lucky people that don't encounter the hardships that others do or
2. they just don't live in reality.

Well I would argue that while there are many people living out in Lala land, the majority of those who choose to live optimistically are or have in the past made a conscious effort to change their thinking.
I can definitely attest to that fact that everyone encounters stress and challenges but it is how you view them that makes the difference.

For example work can be stressful and hectic for me, but instead of feeling overwhelmed and exhausted, I stop myself and think, "wow, I have a job that allows me to make an income, do something I love and care about and enables me to be able to help support my family and all the things we love to do". Huh...suddenly work doesn't seen so bad and that never ending stream of emails and tasks isn't a chore, but an opportunity.

I think all too often it is far easier to focus on the things that we don't have or the things we "have" to do, or whatever went wrong that day. I have definitely been guilty of going to bed and thinking about something stressful from the day. It's a not a great way to end the day and it is definitely not going to be a good way to start the next day.

The other night I was tucking in my disgruntled 6 year old. He gave me a laundry list of the things that had gone wrong that day (argument with brother, didn't get to pick the job he wanted at school, didn't get ice cream after dinner...). So there he sat with his lip out and I thought....OPPORTUNITY! It was so evident in this moment that it is not innate to be grateful and it is something we learn. So I asked him "what went right today? What made you happy?" He shrugs...ok....nudge...."Did you make a great art project?" Nods..."Did you play PS3?" Nods..."Did you play with your friends" Nods....Suddenly he is smiling and ending his day of a positive note. I said, "that is why you had a great day!".

Ok, that is enough for my public service announcement (for now)..Smile, seriously, what do you have to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment