Monday, March 8, 2010

Women....


It being International Women's Day, you sort of had to figure that I would step up on my soap box...just a little....I apologize in advance for anyone I may offend, but I truly speak out of love, so try to see it from that perspective.

Ok, with my disclaimer clearly stated, let's get down to business.
First off I am very grateful for all the amazing women in my life. I am fortunate to be surrounded by women who are passionate and caring. There are mothers, wives, educators, clinicians, lawyers, professors, students...etc. I have so much respect and learn so much from having such amazing women in my life.

That being said, I have one bone to pick with our sex. That is that I feel women are so incredibly hard on one another (not to mention ourselves). We are all battling so many of our own choices and trying to be so many people and fill so many roles that it hardly seems just that we are so hard on one another. One of the most epic battles is between the stay-at-home moms and the working moms. I can be the first one to admit that neither role is easy and neither one is the perfect fit for everyone on everyday.
I had to go back to work when my oldest was only 5 weeks old and i have felt that guilt, but also enjoyed those moments of pure silence in the car when it was only me. We all make really difficult choices and women have the amazing ability to beat themselves up emotionally, but we really should try to avoid doing it to one another.

Instead of feeling that the grass is always greener and thinking that the other team has an unfair advantage, can't we just agree that both sides kind of have it rough on somedays and fabulous on other days? Can we just agree to support one another and take both the victories and defeats together as a team, rather than trying to compete? I'm just sayin.....

Ok, I will step off of the soapbox now. If you made it to the end of this ramble, Congratulations and Happy International Women's Day :)

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I've been in both positions, stay at home and working mom. Both are hard! We do what we need to do for our families and make the decisions we need to for our families. We should be there to support each other!

    ReplyDelete